Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Newburn > Newburn Parish, 1855

Newburn Parish, 1855

Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.



NEWBURN, a parish in the west division of Castle Ward, and east division of Tindale Ward, is bounded on the north by Ponteland parish, on the west by Tindale Ward and Heddon-on-the-Wall, on the south by the river Tyne, and on the east by the parishes of Gosforth and St. John, It contains 11,566 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 4,142; in 1811, 3,993; in 1821, 4,166; in 1841, 4,582; in 1841, 4,156; and in 1851, 4,316 souls. This parish includes the townships of Black Callerton, Butterlaw, Dalton, East Denton, West Denton, North Dissington, South Dissington, Newbiggin, Newburn, Newburn Hall, Sugley, Throckley, Walbottle, and Whorlton East and West. A small portion of the township of Black Callerton, in the parish of Ponteland, containing two houses and nine-persons in 1851, belongs to this parish. The Bishop of Carlisle is the owner of the tithes. This is a very fertile district, with a varied and beautiful surface. On the banks of the Tyne, in this parish, there are extensive iron works, coal staiths, brick and tile yards, chemical works, and other manufactories of various kinds.


BLACK CALLERTON is a township and village, the property of Henry Graham, Esq. The township comprises an area of 1,377 acres, and its rateable value is £1,528. Population in 1801, 495 ; in 1811, 176; in 1821, 173; in 1831, 438; in 1841, 158; and in 1851, 200 souls. Coal of a superior quality is found in this township. THE VILLAGE of Black Callerton is situated three and half miles north north-east from Newburn. Here is a day school, founded by the will of N. Blackiston, in 1721, and endowed with a rent charge of £9. 10s. per annum. The governors are the minister and church-wardens of the parish, who have the right of appointing the master, and it is free to the children of the poor inhabitants of Callerton. James Thompson, teacher.

CHARITIES. Beside the school, Black Callerton possesses the sum of £3 per annum, left by William Alder, for the purpose of apprenticing poor boys of the township to some suitable trade.


Foster Anthony, coal owner, Black Callerton Colliery 

Marshall George, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker 

Moor John, land agent

Richardson Mansfield, viet. Wheat Sheaf, Callerton Lane End 

Robinson Thomas, stonemason

Thompson James, schoolmaster, Black Callerton School 

Tweedy George, land drainer for Josiah Parks, Esq. C.E. 

Watson Robt. joiner and cartwright, Lough House



Anderson Robert, Throckley Marsh

Cairns Joseph, and overseer of the poor, Broom Hall

Cairns Jane and John, Black Callerton 

Davidson Richard & corn miller, Low Luddick

Wood Ralph, Throckley Barns


BUTTERLAW is a township situated five miles west north-west from Newcastle. It contains 250 acres, and its rateable value is £254. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 24; in 1811, 24; in 1821, 28; in 1831, 30; in 1841, 16; and in 1851, 15 souls. It is the sole property of the Duke of Northumberland, and is exclusively occupied by Mr. Wm. Younger, farmer. 


DALTON is a township and village in this parish, but locally situated in the eastern division of Tindale Ward. The township comprises an area of 1,035 acres, its rateable value is £928, and the principal proprietors are Edward Collingwood, Esq., Hugh Moises, Esq., and Edward Riddell, Esq. The population in 1801, was 104 in 1811, 122; in 1821, 122; in 1831, 106; in 1841, 103; and in 1851, 113 sou1s. The tithes were commuted in 1839 - aggregate amount, £ 120. ls. 11d. THE VILLAGE of Dalton occupies a healthy and pleasant situation on the northern hank of the river Pont, eleven miles north-west of Newcastle. It consists of a chapel, one farm-house, and some cottages, which are chiefly inhabited by the workmen in the employ of Edward Collingwood, Esq. THE CHAPEL, dedicated to the Holy Trinitv', was erected in 1837. It contains 200 sittings, of which 180 are free and unappropriated. There is a neat school and teacher's house, erected in 1843. Thomas Penman, teacher. Corn milling is extensively carried on in this township, by Mr. Thomas Seyburn.

DIRECTORY. Ann Davison, grocer; John Ferguson, stonemason; William Johnson stonemason; Thomas Penman, schoolmaster, organist, and chapel-clerk; Thomas Scott, boot and shoemaker; Thomas Seybum, corn miller, Dalton Mill; Edward Sisson, farm-bailiff, Windywalls; Mr. Frederick Shield, Dalton House; and the farmers are George Barkas, Robsheugh; John Marley, Silver-hill; Robert Weddle, and guardian, Dalton; and Thomas Ridley Waddle, and overseer, Dalton. 


DENTON (EAST) is a township and village, of which Lord Rokeby is the principal landowner. The area of the townships of East Deuton and Sugley, which have been returned together, is 809 acres, and their united population in 1801, was 733; in 1811, 824; of East Denton alone, in 1821, 548; in 1831, 524; in 1841, 543; and in 1851, 493 souls. Rateable value £2,001. This township was formerly the property of the Priors of Tynemouth, who erected the Chapel adjacent to the Hall, but after the dissolution of the monastic institutions; it became successively the- property of the Erringtous, the Rogers, and the Montagues ; from the latter of whom it came into the possession of Matthew Robinson, Esq., who, in conformity with the will of the relict of Edward Montague, Esq., assumed the name of that family. 

THE VILLAGE of East Denton is situated on the Hexham road, three and a half miles W.N.W. of Newcastle. Here is a Methodist New Connexion Chapel, which was repaired and altered in 1850.

SCOTSWOOD, a village partly in this township, and partly in that of Benwell is situated on the north bank of the Tyne, a little below Bell's Close, and about three miles west of Newcastle. It contains paper mills, chemical, works, and an extensive fire-brick manufactory. A little to the east of this village a fine suspension bridge crosses the Tyne. It was erected from a design by John Green, Esq., and opened on the 12th of April, 1831. 

BIOGRAPHY. Mrs. Montague, daughter of Matthew Robinson, of West Layton, in Yorkshire, was the wife of Edward Montague, Esq. of this township. Her inclination for literary pursuits was very early displayed, and she is said to have transcribed the whole of the Spectator before the completion of her eighth year. This lady was an excellent scholar, possessing a sound judgement and refined taste. Speaking of her, Dr. Johnson observed, that "she did not make a trade of her wit, but she was a very extraordinary woman, she had a constant stream of conversation, and it was always impregnated, it bad always meaning." Her “Essay on the writings and Genius of Shakspeare” in answer to the objections of Voltaire, must always rank with the best illustrations of the transcendent powers of the “immortal bard." It is not an elaborate dissertation on the meaning of obscure passages, but a comprehensive survey of the sublimity of his genius - of his profound knowledge of human nature and of the wonderful resources of his imagination, But it was in epistolary correspondence that Mrs. Montague particularly excelled, and her letters in point of judgement, learning, and eloquence far exceed those of her namesake the Lady Mary Wortley Montague. She died at East Denton, at a very advanced age, on the 25th of August, 1800. 


Arthur William, farmer and -overseer, Red Cow, East Denton 

Barnup William, farmer, East Denton House

Carr Thomas & Son, fire-brick manufacturers, Scotswood

Cox John, vict. Ord Arms Inn, Scotswood

Fletcher Falconer & Co. paper manufacturers, Scotswood

Grace & Co. paper manufacturers, Scotswood 

Hagg John, joiner & cartwright, Denton Burn

Humble Thomas, manufacturer of water closet pans, & other articles for sanitary purposes, Scotswood; works at St. Lawrence 

Hoyle Richard, merchant, Denton Hall

Lister Mrs. Elizabeth, Scotswood House

Lister Ralph, manufacturer of firebricks, crucibles, gas retorts, chemical apparatus, socket pipes, etc. Scotswood 

Moralee John, schoolmaster, Scotswood

Reay William, farmer, Black Swine

Robson Hoyle & Co. Venetian red manufacturers, Pardase; office Close, Newcastle

Ross John, merchant tailor, Scotswood

Scott W.H. surgeon, Scotswood

Scotswood Brick and Tile Company, manufacturers of lampblack, coke, varnish, and coal oil, Scotswood

Smith Edward, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker, Denton Square

Smith John, grocer. Scotswood 

Towns Alfred, butcher, Scotswood

Urwin Isabella, vict. Mason's Arms Inn, Denton Burn

Uren Joseph, butcher, vict. and grocer,  Scotswood 


DENTON (WEST) is a township and village, the properly of Joseph Lamb, Esq. of Exwell Park, in the county of Durham. The township contains 329 acres, and its rateable value is £1,167. 8s. 0d. Population in 1801, 423; in 1811, 362; in 1821, 404; in 1831, 455; in 1841, 420 ; and in 1851, 471 souls.

THE VILLAGE of West Denton is situated south of the Hexham turnpike road, about three and a half miles west by north of Newcastle. Many Roman remains have been discovered in the vicinity of this place, at various periods. 

BELL's CLOSE, an irregularly built village in this township, is situated on the north bank of the Tyne, three and a quarter miles west of Newcastle. Here are extensive firebrick works, which are carried on by Messrs. Blacklock and Hall. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here, which was erected in 1839.


Angus George, merchant, West Denton House

Atkinson Robert, shoemaker, Paniard Houses

Black Robert, vict. Long Boat Inn, Bell's Close

Blacklock and Hall, firebrick manufacturers, Bell's Close

Carter John, timber merchant, Bell's Close 

Dodds Jeremiah, road surveyor

Dodds Thomas, blacksmith & agricultural implement maker

Hall William, butcher, Bell's Close

Harriman and Humble, tallow chandlers, Hell's Close 

Harriman William, grocer & sanitary pipe manufacturer, Bell's Close 

Humble Thomas, tallow chandler (Harriman and Humble); ho. Scotswood 

Kirton William, blacksmith, agricultural implement maker, and farmer, Denton Hill Head 

Scott John, joiner and cartwright (Hutchinson and Scott); ho. Black-row 

Wailer John, grocer, etc. Bell's Close


DISSINGTON (NORTH) is a township and hamlet, the property of Edward Collingwood, Esq. The area of the township is 1,140 acres, and the rateable value is £1,042. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 80; in 1811, 87; in 1821, 65; in 1831, 76; in 1841, 67; and in 1851, 70 souls. THE HAMLET of North Dissington is about nine miles W.N.W. of Newcastle. It is remarkable as being the birth-place of the gallant Admiral Sir Ralph Delaval, who entered the navy at an early age, and under the patronage of the Duke of York, afterwards James II., rose regularly in rank, until he became captain of the "York," a third-rate man of war, which position he occupied at the revolution which drove his patron from the throne. Shortly after the accession of William III., he was raised to the rank of rear-admiral of the blue, and received the honour of knighthood. He subsequently served, under the Earl of Torrington, at the battle of Beachy Head, in which the English and Dutch Fleets were beaten by the French, on the 30th of June, 1690. He was shortly afterwards promoted to the rank of vice-admiral of the blue, and in 1692 was declared vice-admiral of the red, and entrusted with the command of a large squadron of English and Dutch ships, for the protection of the Mediterranean fleet, which service he performed with great skill and success. At the battle of La Hogue, on the 19th of May of the same year, he bravely sustained his reputation, and destroyed some of the enemy's largest ships. Subsequent to this action, Admiral Delaval became the victim of court intrigue, and lost his command, his services to his country being entirely forgotten. He afterwards lived as a private gentleman till his decease, in January, 1807. He was buried in Westminster Abbey, and notwithstanding the violence of party prejudice, he descended to the grave with the reputation of a great and gallant officer, and of a generous and hospitable man. 

DIRECTORY. Edward Collingwood, Esq., J.P. Dissington Hall; John Cook, gardener; William Gilhespay, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker; William Summers, gamekeeper; and the farmers are, William Ridley, and overseer, Dissington East Houses; and Jane Younger, Cairn House. 


DISSINGTON (SOUTH) is a township and hamlet, containing 1,342 acres, and its population in 1801, was 93; in 1811, 90; in 1821, 74; in 1831, 77; in 1841, 76; and in 1851, 68 souls. Edward Collingwood, Esq., is the principal proprietor. THE HAMLET of South Dissington is situated nine and a half miles north-west of Newcastle. This place was for many centuries the seat of the ancient family of Delaval.

DIRECTORY. George Armitage, cattle dealer, Dissington Lane House; William Scott, vict. blacksmith, and agricultural implement maker, Three Horse Shoes Inn, Throckley Fell; Joseph Twaddle, Penny Hill; and the farmers are, Thomas Anderson, Dissington Old Hall; George Cofton, Donkin's Houses; George Sanderson, Lane House; and James Swan.


NEWBIGGIN, a small township in this parish, three and three quarter miles north-west of Newcastle, is the property of Matthew Bell, Esq., of Woolsington. It contains 519 acres, and its rateable value is £715. Population in 1801, 53; in 1811, 43; in 1821, 47; in 1831, 64; in 1841, 38; and in 1851, 53 souls.

DIRECTORY. Frederick Swan Todd, bottle manufacturer; Thomas White, woodkeeper for M. Bell, Esq, Hollywell Rens; and the farmers are, John Herron, and William Ryle, Pack's House. 


NEWBURN is a township and village in the parish of the same name, containing an area of 790 acres, and its population in 1801, was 805; in 1811, 787; in 1821, 918; in 1831, 966; in 1831, 943; and in 1851, 938 souls. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor, and holds a court-leet annually, when constables are sworn in, and inspectors of weights, measures, etc. are appointed. Sir Waiter B. Riddell is steward of the court. 

THE VILLAGE of Newburn is situated on the Tyne, about five miles west by north of Newcastle. It was anciently a borough, the manor of which, with all its regalities, was given by King John to Robert, son of Roger de Clavering, Baron of Warkworth. John, the last Lord Clavering, granted the reversion of it to the crown, and Edward III. gave it to Henry Lord Percy, from whom it has descended to the present proprietor. We find the village of Newburn mentioned as early as the year 1071, for at that time, William the Conqueror having deprived Osulph of the earldom of Northumberland, and conferred it upon Copsi, the uncle of Earl Tostig, Osulph was obliged to take refuge in the woods and mountains, where he collected a band of men, in circumstances similar to his own. With these desperadoes, he beset a house at Newburn, in which Copsi was feasting, and pursuing him to the church, whither he had fled for protection, immediately set it on fire. Copsi being driven forth by the flames, was slain in the porch by Osulph. This occurred on the 11th of March, Copsi having only enjoyed his dignity for the short space of five weeks. On the 20th of August, 1640, the Scottish Covenanters, under General Lesley, crossed the Tweed, and marched without opposition to Newburn, where Lord Conway, who commanded the royal forces in the absence of the Earls of Northumberland and Strafford, had taken a position and thrown up entrenchments to defend the ford over the Tyne. On the 27th the Scots pitched their tents on Heddon Law, above Newburn, whence there was a continued descent to the river, and in the night made great fires in and around their camp. The same night, the king's army, consisting of three thousand foot and one thousand five hundred horse, were drawn out on Stella Haugh, a plain meadow ground nearly a mile in length, on the south side of the Tyne. Their position was strengthened by two breastworks, thrown up opposite the fordable places of the river, and defended by cannon and musketry. On the 28th, the Scots, who had the advantage of the rising ground, brought down some pieces of cannon, and planted them in the church steeple of Newburn, lining at the same time all the lanes and hedges, in the neighbourhood of the village with musketeers. Both parties remained inactive during the forenoon, till an accidental circum-stance occasioned the beginning of the conflict. A Scotch officer came out of one of the houses of Newburn, and watered his horse in the Tyne, this being perceived by one of the English soldiers, he levelled his piece, and brought the officer from his horse, upon which the Scots immediately commenced the action by opening their fire upon the breast works of the English, who, in their turn, cannonaded the Scots that were posted in the church and village. The advantages of numbers, discipline, and position, were possessed by the Scots, and by the time that the ebb tide had rendered the river fordable, their cannon had driven the English from their works, and Lesley, perceiving the men running from their guns, ordered Major Ballantyne, with a forlorn hope of twenty-six horse, to pass the river to reconnoitre. To cover this movement a heavy cannonade was kept up by the Scots, so that Ballantyne and his party were able to establish themselves on the south bank, which was speedily attained by several other portions of the Scottish forces. The English horse, who were drawn up on the flat grounds near the Tyne, stood for some time exposed to the fire of nine pieces of ordnance, with which Lesley covered the passage of his men, but were at last broken and thrown into confusion, and, as the Scots continued to pass the river in great numbers, the rout became general. The main body of the infantry retreated in disorder, by Ryton and Stella Haugh, to Newcastle, whilst Sir John Digby, Commissary Wilmot, and O'Neil, an Irish officer, who endeavoured to cover the retreat with the horse, were surrounded and made prisoners by Lesley, who treated them and the whole of the prisoners with the greatest honour, and soon after permitted them to rejoin the royal forces. 

THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. Michael and all the Holy Angels, is a neat cruciform structure, with a square tower, and underwent a thorough renovation, in 1827, at which time the window over the communion table, was considerably improved by the introduction of stained glass. The living is a discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry of Northumberland and deanery of Newcastle, valued in the Liber Regis at £16; gross income £240, exclusive of the vicarage house. Patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle; incumbent, the Rev. John Reed, B.A. The parish register commences in 1659. A fine memorial window has been lately placed in the eastern end of this church, by the James family, in memory of their mother. It consists of three lights, or compartments, the centre one representing the Crucifixion, and the two lateral ones the Annunciation and the Last Judgment. This beautiful window is the work of Mr. Wailes, of Newcastle.

In connection with the parish church are two Chapels of Ease, situated respectively in Dalton and Sugley Field, the former is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and the latter to the Holy Saviour. They were both erected in the years 1836-37, from designs by Mr. Green, architect, of Newcastle. In 1838, a complete communion service was presented to the chapel of the Holy Trinity, by Ralph Bates, Esq., of Milburn Hall, and in November of the following year A.G. Potter, Esq., of Walbottle House, and his brothers presented to the church at Newburn, a beautiful and elegant stained glass window, by Mr. Wailes, of Newcastle. The window is of the Tudor date of architecture, in the upper tracery of which are the emblems of the holy evangelists and the letters I.H.S. The lower portion of this beautiful work of art is filled up with a rich and ornamental device of the period, in which are introduced the arms of the Potter family, and the following legend:- DEO ET ECCLESIE FRATRES POTTER, DICAVERUNT. A.D. MDCCCXXXIX.

There is a WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL here, which was erected in 1832. NEWBURN SCHOOL was built in 1822, it bears the following inscription :- "Erected by Hugh, Duke of Northumberland, Lord of the Manor. Hugh Taylor, Bailiff," His Grace also endowed it with the sum of ten guineas per annum. Messrs. John Spencer and Sons, possess extensive premises here, in which steel, files, etc., are manufactured, and employment afforded to upwards of 200 persons.

NEW WINNING is a hamlet in this township, five miles west by north from Newcastle. At Newburn and Lemington Point are salmon fisheries, of which Mr. Robert Forster is lessee. 

CHARITIES. Robert Delaval, who died in 1666, gave to the poor of this parish £5, to be paid for ever by the land of South Dissington; and John Blackett, in 1707, left to the poor of this parish, the sum of £4 per annum, payable out of the West Denton estate. Gawen Stoker, who died in 1741, gave twenty shillings a year, to be paid annually on Good Friday, to the poor of the township of Newburn, and Utrick Whitfield, by will, in 1746 left £50 to the poor of this parish. The interest of this sum is received by the vicar, and given away yearly at Christmas. 

POST OFFICE, NEWBURN, Charles Browel, postmaster. Letters arrive here, from Newcastle, at 12 noon, and are despatched thereto at 2-15 p.m. 


Blackburn John, gardener

Browell Charles, grocer & flour dealer, and boot and shoemaker

Brown John, constable, and manager of brick works

Davison Robert Smith, M.R.C.S. & I.A.C.

Fawall George, butcher

Finney Thomas, surgeon, Manor House 

Forster Robert, farmer and salmon fisherman

Hall Elizabeth, farmer

Hargreave William, builder & contractor, farmer, and grocer and flour dealer

Hunter William L. butcher 

Johnson Edward, stonemason 

Moor Dorothy, shopkeeper 

Moore Timothy, boot and shoe maker, Dewley 

Reed Rev. John, B.A. vicar

Spencer John & Sons, manufacturers of steel, files, springs for locomotive engines and railway carriages, etc. etc. Newburn Steel Works - Office, 78, Westgate-street, Newcastle, and 124, Fenchurch street, London

Spencer John, jun. steel, etc. manufacturer (John Spencer & Sons); ho. Newburn 

Stobard James, boot and shoemaker

Taylor Edward, butcher 

Taylor James, grocer

Thompson Thomas, stonemason 


Inns and Taverns 

Black Boy, George Hunter 

Cock Inn, John Middleton, New Winning

Ferry Boat, George Hall

Highlander, Henry Potter 

Three Horse Shoes, James Walker, and blacksmith


NEWBURN HALL is an adjoining township to the above, the property of the Duke of Northumberland. It comprises an area of 876 acres, and its popu-lation in 1801, was 624; in 1811, 632; in 1821, 629; in 1831, 636; in 1841, 665; and in 1851, 670 souls. This township contains the eastern suburb of Newburn. The old mansion, from which the name of the township is derived, is now converted into a farm house, whose walls are in some places six or seven feet in thickness.

LEMINGTON is a populous village, partly in the township 'Of Newburn trarr, and partly in that of Sugley. It is conveniently situated on the northem bank of the river Tyne, and consists of a confused assemblage of cottages which are chiefly inhabited by the workmen employed in the Tyne Iron Works, and the Northumberland Glass Works, an extensive Crown Glass manufactory, which is carried on by Thomas Harrison & Co. Lemington is about one mile east from Newburn, and three miles west from Newcastle. 


Arthur George farmer, Newburn Hill Head

Blackburn John, gardener

Davison George, grocer and flour dealer, Lemington

Finney Edward, innkeeper, Lemington 

Galley Isabella, grocer, etc. Lemington

Galley Joseph, staithsman, Walbottle Colliery, house Lemington Gardener Winifred,vict. Doctor Syntax Inn, Lemington

Hall Mrs. Elizabeth, Newburn Hall 

Harrison Thomas, & Co. crown glass manufacturers, Northumberland Crown Glass Works, Lemington 

Hutchinson & Scott, joiners & cartwrights, workshop, Black Row 

Hutchinson Thompson, joiner and cartwright (Hutchinson & Scott); house, Lemington Cottage

Jackson Michael, farmer, Lemington Lane

Johnson Richard, stonemason, Newburn Cottage

Moore Thomas, boot & shoemaker, Dewley

Nixon William, farmer, Union Hall

Smith James, innkeeper, Lemington

Spencer John, sen. steel etc. manufacturer (John Spencer & Sons}; ho. Lemington Hall 

Spencer Michael, steel etc. manufacturer (John Spencer &: Sons); ho. Lemington Hall

Spencer Thomas, steel etc. manufacturer (John Spencer & Sons); ho. Lemington Hall 

Wright Gilbert, glass manufacturer (Thos. Harrison & Co.); ho. Villa-place 

Wright William, glass manufacturer (Thos. Harrison & Co.); ho. Villa Real 


SUGLEY, a township in the above parish situated four miles west of Newcastle, is the property of Lord Rokeby. The acreage of this township is returned with that of East Denton as was also the Population previous to 1821. In that year it was 266; in 1831, 255; in 1841, 212; and in 1851, 222 souls. The "Tyne Iron Works" are situated in this township. They are very extensive and afford employment to 130 persons. 

THE CHAPEL of the Holy Saviour is situated in Sugley Field. It is a very neat edifice in the early English style, erected in 1836-37 at a cost of about £900. and possesses sufficient accommodation for 270 persons. The eastern window of this chapel is much admired, and reflects the highest credit upon Mr. Wailes of Newcastle, by whom it was constructed. It is divided into three compartments, the centre one being occupied by a full length figure of the Redeemer, St. John the Baptist, and St. John the Evangelist. There is also a representation of the Ascension in the trefoil above. In the two side lights are the figures of the Blessed Virgin with the Divine Infant, and St. Elizabeth, and the Infant Baptist. The whole of the sittings in this beautiful little chapel are free and unappropriated. There is a school attached to the chapel, Thomas Gibling, teacher.

DIRECTORY. William Downing, agent, and Thomas Gibling, schoolmaster. 


THROCKLEY is a township and hamlet in this parish, the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. The township comprises an area of 1,263 acres, and the rateable value is £1,025. The lessees of the tithes, which amount to £145, are Messrs. Dickinson and. Bainbridge. The number of inhabitants in 1801 was 188; in 1811, 192;  in 1821, 159; in 1831, 208; in 1841, 160; and  in 1851, l59 soulss. THE HAMLET of Throckley is situated one mile north by west from Newburn, and six and a half miles W.N.W. from Newcastle. Here is a neat Methodist Chapel erected in l850. 

DIRECTORY, Mr. William Anderson; William Chorlton, grocer and merchant tailor, Newburn Lane End; Armstrong Forster, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker, Newburn Lane End; Mr. Glover, agent; Stephen Nesbit, viet. Crown and Anchor Inn; Thomas Patterson, corn miller, Throckey Mill; Mr. Edward Steel; and William Stephenson, coal owner and brick and tile manufacturer, Throckley House.


WALBOTTLE is a township and village in the above-named parish, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor. The township contains 1,251 acres, and its rateable value is £2,581. Population in 1801, 462; in 1811, 591; in 1821, 676; in 1831; 638; in 1841, 683; and in 1851, 782 souls. Here are extensive coal mines which are worked by Messrs. Lamb and Potter, and Lamb & Co.

THE VILLAGE of Walbottle is situated four and a half miles west by north of Newcastle. It contains a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Chapel, two day schools, some respectable inns, and a few grocers shops. The Rev. James Raine in his "History of North Durham/' fixes on Walbottle as the place where Peada, son of the sanguinary Penda, king of Mercia, and Sigebert monarch of East Anglia, were baptised by Finan in 653. In July 1786, some very heavy falls of rain occurred in this neighbourhood, and the small rivulet that passes Walbottle swelled very rapidly. A small arch having been previously thrown across the stream, an embankment of earth was formed upon it for the purpose of making a waggon-way from an adjoining colliery; this arch being too small for the passage of the body of water, and the trees, hay, etc., which the flood brought down, was soon choked up, and the water then forming a lake in the valley above, at length burst the embankment, and rolling with an impetuosity scarcely conceivable, instantly carried away an adjoining mill, and a man working in it was drowned at a moment when he suspected no danger. In its progress to the river Tyne, it carried away three houses at the east end of the village of Newburn. where three persons unfortunately lost their lives. In 1794, some " Roman Remains,'' consisting of two centurial stones, where found in the vicinity of this village. 

About a century ago, William Pettigrew, a Scotchman, who was employed in driving a coai waggon, erected a hut in Walbottle Dean, against the side of a hill that was covered with brushwood, a short distance south of the turnpike road. Here he resided for some time, with his family, and from his dwelling place was known by the name of Willie of the Wood. The habitation was constructed of sods and thatched with broom. Four staves driven into the ground, and a couple of planks served as a table, while a few old coal buckets, or corves, covered with straw, formed their bed. This becoming noised abroad, curiosity prompted many a one to pay them a visit, when Mrs. Pettigrew would have accosted them with "you’re welcome to see the house i'the glen, guid folk.” The groups of visitors at length, however, became so numerous, that they were troublesome; but the canny Scot, projected a scheme to turn the public curiosity to account; he procured bread and cheese, ale, etc., which were readily sold, whereby he was enabled to maintain his family in a more comfortable way. From this humble situation two of Pettigrew's sons rose to a good position in society, one of them joined the army, where in the course of time he became a lieutenant, and the other acquired some celebrity as a preacher in the Methodist Connexion.

POST OFFICE, WALBOTTIE, Elizabeth Dodds, postmistress....Letters arrive, from. Newcastle, at 11 a.m. and are despatched thereto at 2-45 p.m. 


Chicken Aaron W. under-viewer

Glover William, land agent, Walbottle Dean House

Laws Edward, schoolmaster, Colliery School

Lougridge Henry G. viewer

Nixon Thomas, agent to the Walbottle Colliery Company

Potter Archibald G. coal owner, Walbottle House 

Robson Thomas, grocer, provision dealer, and builder, Walbottle Lane House 

Robinson William, head engineer, Walbottle Colliery 

Waugh James, schoolmaster

Wilson George, grocer

Wilson W. & G. joiners 



Harrison Robert, Half Moon Inn

Picken Robert, Walbottle Bank Top House 


Davison Ralph, Chapel House 

Hays William, Fell House

Wardle John, & cattle dealer 

Watson Edward, Coley Hill

Watson Jno. Percy Arms Inn 



Brown Jug, Isabella Bell 

Duke's Hall, John Wardle

Half Moon inn, Robert Harrison

Percy Arms Inn, John Watson


WHORLTON EAST AND WEST form a township in the parish of Newburn, containing 585 acres of land, the property of the Duke of Northumberland. The rateable value of the township is £518. 10s. and its population in 1801, was 58; in 1811, 63; in 1821, 57; in 1831, 59; in 1841, 60; and in 1851, 53 souls. This estate consists of two divisions, called East and West Whorlton. THE HAMLET of Whorlton is situated four miles north west of Newcastle. 

DIRECTORY. Mary Golbeck, farmer, Whorlton Hall; William Hogg, blacksmith and agricultural implement maker, and vict. Jingling Gate Inn; and Riddell Robson, farmer and overseer, Whorlton High House. 


Newburn Castle Ward, 1855 Northumberland Parishes and Townships - 1855


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.