Newbiggin Township, Teesdale, 1848
NEWBIGGIN, a township, in the parish of Middleton-in-Teesdale, union of Teesdale, S.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 12½ miles (N.W.) from Barnard-Castle; containing 516 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 4290 acres, and is bounded on the south by the river Tees, which separates it from Yorkshire. A mill for smelting lead-ore found in the neighbourhood, employs numerous hands. The village is about two miles and a half north-west of Middleton. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is partly supported by an endowment of £11 per annum, given by Mr. William Tarn, of London, in 1799.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.