Netherton Colliery (c.1818 - 1974)
The sinking of Netherton Colliery, to the west of Bedlington, began in 1818. There were 4 pits sunk during the 19th century (Hall Pit, Howard Pit, Leveson Pit, and New Pit). In 1832 the Netherton Waggonway was built to transport the coal from the colliery to Blyth for onward shipping. The village of Nedderton grew up around the colliery. By 1940 there were 834 people employed at the pits of Netherton Colliery (638 working below ground and 196 on the surface). The colliery closed on the 5th of January, 1974.