Topics > Tyne and Wear > Sunderland > Moorsley
Low Moorsley and High Moorsley are adjacent villages, located a short distance south-west of Hetton-le-Hole in the City of Hetton-le-Hole. Historically, Moorsley was a township in the ancient parish of Houghton-le-Spring in County Durham.
MOORSLEY, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 4½ miles (E.N.E.) from the city of Durham; containing 821 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Moreslaw, "the Moorhill," and belonged to the convent of Durham, on the dissolution of which the possessions of the institution in Moorsley passed to the cathedral. The township comprises 588a. 32p., whereof 355 acres are arable, 210 meadow and pasture, and 22 waste: the village lies on a high bare brow, overlooking the vale of Houghton. The Durham and Sunderland railway here joins the Hartlepool railway. A modus of 20d. is paid annually to the rector of Houghton in lieu of hay tithe, and the other tithes have been commuted for £82. 12.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.