Monkridge Ward, Township, 1848
MONKRIDGE-WARD, a township, in the parish of Elsdon, union of Rothbury, S. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (N.E.) from Bellingham; containing 111 inhabitants. About the year 1242, Munkeriche was held of Gilbert de Umfraville by Maria de Munkeriche and Roger Dun, by drengage service; in 1398, Maud, widow of Gilbert de Umfraville, died seised of the place. Queen Elizabeth had lands here in 1568; and subsequently to this period, property has been possessed in the ward by the families of Hall, Howard, Potts, and Orde. Within the limits of the district is the estate of Ottercops, comprising 2,415 acres, and of which mention occurs in the records of about the time of Henry II. The township is on the east of the river Rede, and south of the road between Elsdon and Elishaw Bridge; and comprises altogether by measurement 5,450 acres, whereof about 254 are arable, 20 wood, and the remainder pasture, which is good by the river side; the rest of the pasture land is uninclosed. The hamlet stands on the south side of Elsdon burn.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.