Mindrum Mill Township, 1848
MINDRUM-MILL, a township, in the parish of Carham, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S.) from Coldstream. It comprises about 2,100 acres, of which 1,320 are arable, and the remainder old pasture, mostly level land on the northern bank of the river Beaumont; the soil on the lower grounds is a gravelly loam, and on the higher inclined to moor: the scenery is in general beautiful. Here is a whinstonequarry; also two of the best fox-covers in the north of England. The tithes have been commuted for £394. The foundations of an ancient chapel were dug up in 1819, and there are remains of a cemetery. A spring here is strongly impregnated with iron.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.