Middridge Township, 1848
MIDRIDGE, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, S.E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4¾ miles (S.E. by S.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 345 inhabitants. It is situated westward of the road between Darlington and Durham, and comprises by computation 1020 acres of land. The Witton, Darlington, and Stockton railway passes on the south, a short distance from the village. A schoolroom built in 1817, was enlarged in 1821, and is used as a chapel, a curacy having been endowed with £27. 6. a year by the late Bishop of Durham, who also endowed the school with £10 per annum.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.