Middridge Grange Township, 1848
MIDRIDGE-GRANGE, a township, in the union of Auckland, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (N.) from Darlington; containing 40 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 860 acres, and is pleasantly situated on an eminence, at the base of which passes the Witton, Darlington, and Stockton railroad; it is wholly the property of the Earl of Eldon. The seat once occupied by Colonel Byerley, M.P. for the county of Durham, and anciently the residence of Catesby, one of the conspirators in the Gunpowder plot, is in the township. A dispute is now pending as to whether the township belongs to the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, or to Heighington.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.