Topics > Tyne and Wear > South Tyneside > South Shields > Middle Docks

Middle Docks


The former Middle Docks were a complex of ship building and repair docks and dry docks in South Shields, where located between the larger Readhead's and Brigham's ship yards. Middle Docks were first documented in 1776, but there were earlier docks on the site. The docks expanded on the site of former salt pans. There were a number of owners over the years. In the mid-19th century two docks here were joined into one business as the Middle Dock Co.[1] Following the sale of the business, Middle Docks and Engineering Co. were registered on the 5th of February 1900. In 1961 the company employed 1,100 people and were recorded as engineers and repairers of hulls, machinery and boilers of all types of Naval and merchant shipping.[2] The Middle Docks were no longer used from the late 1990's.

South Shields
from Geograph (geograph)
Middle Dock

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Derelict Dry Dock, Middle Docks, South Shields

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Derelict Ship Repair Yard and Dry Dock, Middle Docks, South Shields

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Former Offices for Middle Docks, South Shields

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Last vestiges of a former dock railway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Middle Dock, South Shields

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Former drydock, South Shields

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old graving docks at High Shields

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Middle Dock

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from TWAM (flickr)
Middle Docks and Engineering Company, South Shields, 1976

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from TWAM (flickr)
Middle Docks and Engineering Company, South Shields, 1962

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(2345): South Shields, Middle Docks
- "A ‘Mr Smith’s Dock’ is shown on a ‘Plan of the Low part of the Tyne’ in the late 1760s. The first mention by name of Middle Dock is ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.gracesguide.co....
Middle Docks and Engineering Co
- "of West Holborn, South Shields 1900 The company was registered on 5 February, to acquire the business of Mail, Macfarlane and Co and the undertaking of the Middle Docks Co ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Tyne & Wear HER: 2345
Grid ref: NZ35656650

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES