Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Matterdale Civil Parish > Matterdale, 1848

Matterdale, 1848


MATTERDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 10 miles (S.W. by W.) from Penrith; containing 363 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the east side of an extensive moor, and affords only coarse pasture, with the exception of about 20 acres of inclosed arable and meadow land. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Rector of Greystock. The chapel was erected in 1685. Robert Grisdale, in 1722, built a school, and endowed it with £11 a year.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Matterdale Civil Parish Greystoke Parish, 1848

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES