Lower Allithwaite Township, 1848
ALLITHWAITE, LOWER, a township, in the parish of Cartmel, union of Ulverstone, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (S.) from Cartmel; containing 807 inhabitants. This township has sometimes been named Cartmel Church Town. To the north, not far from the shore, are some remains of Wraysholme Tower, which was a fortified house, of strong masonry, in the 14th century: Abbot Hall, in the hamlet of Kents, is supposed to have been a residence of the priors of Cartmel. In some fields called Chapel Fields, human skeletons have been exhumed. The church and part of the town of Cartmel (which see) are in the township.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.