Lorton Parish, 1848
LORTON (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Brackenthwaite and Wythop, 635 inhabitants, of whom 394 are in the township of Lorton, 3¾ miles (S.E. by S.) from Cockermouth. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £76; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. At Wythop is a second incumbency.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.