Topics > Northumberland > Lipwood

Lipwood


Lipwood is a hamlet in Northumberland, located about a mile west of Haydon Bridge. It consists of a small number of dwellings at Lipwood Hall, Middle Lipwood, and Lipwood Well (farm). Historically, Lipwood was a wider township within the ancient parish of Warden. Lipwood House and Middle Lipwood Farmhouse are Grade II listed buildings.

LIPWOOD, a township, in the chapelry of Haydon, parish of Warden, union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾ miles (W.) from Hexham; containing 648 inhabitants. This place, which is an ancient member of the barony of Langley, occupies an elevated situation, and is bounded on the north by the Roman Prætentura. The surface is diversified, and the scenery of pleasing character. Grindon lake, a fine sheet of water in the township, is fed by the Knag burn (which rises to the north of the Roman wall), and in the winter greatly overflows its summer limits; it abounds with perch, and a boat is kept on it by the governors of Greenwich Hospital, to whom it belongs. Lipwood House is a handsome villa, erected about the year 1829, by the late Thomas Coates, Esq., whose family at that time held lands in the township.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Middle Lipwood:

Northumberland Warden Parish, 1848 Haydon Civil Parish
from Geograph (geograph)
The valley of the River South Tyne near Lipwood Well

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Middle Lipwood

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Lipwood Well

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Lane above High Lipwood

Pinned by Peter Smith
from https://historicengland.org...
LIPWOOD HOUSE - List Entry
- "House. 1800 for Colonel Coats (ex -Indian Army) extended later C19. Main facades ashlar, squared stone to rear. Rusticated plinth, sill bands and moulded eaves cornice. Hipped slate roof, ashlar ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
MIDDLE LIPWOOD FARMHOUSE - List Entry
- "House, c.1700 probably incorporating earlier fabric. Rendered, tooled dressings, slate roof, stone-coped gables with moulded kneelers, stone stepped gable stacks. 2 storeys with attics, 2 windows. C20 part-glazed door ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES