Linthorpe Township, 1848
LINTHORPE, a township, in the parish of Middlesborough, union of Stockton-upon-Tees, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 1½ mile (S.S.W.) from Middlesborough; containing 246 inhabitants. This township, which comprises 1,300 acres, is situated on the river Tees, and includes the hamlet of Ayresham, and the modern village of Newport. It forms a part of the manor of Acklam, and as the lands here are not mentioned in Domesday book, they may be presumed to have been included under the survey of that place. On the river is a ferry, with a wharf having extensive granaries: the road between Stockton and Guisborough lies to the south.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.