Topics > Tyne and Wear > Sunderland > Washington > Lambton

Lambton


Lambton is a village (area) of Washington, Sunderland, in Tyne and Wear. Historically it was part of County Durham and within the ancient parish of Cherster-le-Street.

LAMBTON, a township, in the parish and union of Chester-le-Street, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 1½ mile (N.E.) from Chester-le-Street; containing 120 inhabitants. This township, which is situated to the north of Little Lumley, and skirted by the road from Chester-le-Street, over the river Wear, to Houghton-le-Spring, comprises 634 acres of productive grass-land. Lambton Hall formerly stood here, and was the residence of the Lambton family until the death of William Lambton, Esq., at the close of the eighteenth century. A considerable portion of the beautiful park, five miles in circumference, which surrounds the modern edifice of Lambton Castle, at Harraton, extends into this township. Just within the entrance to the park is the site of an ancient chapel, and near it Worm Hill, of which tradition says that it was once occupied by a formidable serpent, that was cut to pieces by some hero of the Lambton family, cased in armour set with razors for the purpose. The Durham Junction railway passes to the south-east. Two brine springs, from which salt is made, issue from the bottom of two coal-pits in the township.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Washington Lambton Castle Chester-Le-Street Parish, 1848 Lambton Primary School
from Geograph (geograph)
Helvellyn Avenue, Lambton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Monkside Close, Lambton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Lambton Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Lambton Castle
- Overview History Description, 1834 Map Lambton Castle, by the River Wear near Chester-le-Street was mostly constructed in its present form between 1820 and 1828 by John Lambton, first Earl of ...
Chester-Le-Street Parish, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Chester-Le-Street Parish, 1848
- CHESTER-LE-STREET (St. Mary and St. Cuthbert), a parish, and the head of a union (though a portion of the parish is in the union of Lanchester), partly in the N. ...
from Geograph (geograph)
The Cherry Tree, Lambton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES