Kingwater Township, 1848
KINGWATER, a township, in the parish of Lanercost-Abbey, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 9 miles (N.E.) from Brampton; containing 390 inhabitants. This place derives its name from a stream so called, which has its source in several rills issuing from the mountains to the north of Gilsland. The township comprises the hamlet of WestHall, and is beautifully situated in a vale; the soil is light, but of excellent quality, and the district is noted for its pastures. The village consists of irregularly built houses, scattered along the vale. At the extremity of the vale are the ruins of Triermaine Castle, the baronial residence of the Vaux family, now almost entirely removed; and near West-Hall was the ancient tower of Torcrossock.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.