Iveston Township, 1848
IVESTONE, a township, in the parish and union of Lanchester, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 10½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Durham; containing 448 inhabitants. This place is of somewhat more ancient note than most of the neighbouring hamlets, being mentioned in Boldon book. At the Dissolution it was the property of the hospital of Kepier; and it was granted subsequently (by Edward VI.) to Cockburn, lord of Black Ormiston, for his services in conducting the regent Somerset's army through the borders, into Scotland. Crook Hall, in the township, was the seat of the Bakers, of whom Thomas, a celebrated scholar and antiquary, was born here in 1656: his grandfather, Sir George Baker, Knt., the first of the name who owned the estate, was recorder of Newcastle, which he assisted gallantly to defend when beleagured by the Scots. The township comprises about 1590 acres: the village, which is considerable, is situated on a cold hill side, on the Watling-street; many of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring collieries.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.