Inner Farne is the largest of the Farne islands and the closest to mainland Northumberland, a mile and a half away. It covers an area of 6.8 hectares of which about 4 hectares are bare rock. There are cliffs on the south and west of the island, which slopes down to the rocky shores on the north-east. St Cuthbert’s cove provides a natural harbour for the island. The island was inhabited from at least the early Medieval period by hermits and monks; it is particularly associated with St Cuthbert, who lived on the island before being made Bishop of Lindisfarne - later he returned to his cell on Inner Farne Island, where he died on 20 March 687 AD. St Cuthert's Chapel on the island is dedicated to his memory, and the building date backs to at least the 13th century. A second ruined chapel, from the 15th century, is now used as an information centre by the National Trust, which owns the island. Also from the 15th century is Prior Castell's Tower. The Inner Farne Lighthouse was built in 1810. Today Inner Farne isn't permanently populated, but wardens live there part of the year and the island gets lots of visitors and is an important part of the bird and seal sanctuary.