Huntcliff Ironstone Mine
Huntcliffe Mine, near the cliffs about 1 mile north-east of Brotton, was opened by Bell Bros., Ltd.in 1871 (nearby Cliff Mines had been opened by the company in 1860). Huntcliffe was a drift mine in which ironstone was mined by hand. By 1896 the mine was employing 109 men and boys (88 working below ground and 21 working on the surface). The mine closed on the 22nd of September 1906, when the ironstone was exhausted. The old Fan House, which ventilated the mine, is a prominent landmark seen from the Cleveland Way between Saltburn and Skinningrove. The massive fan was about 10 metres in diameter and over 3 metres wide. The Fan House is a Scheduled Monument. Close by, on Huntcliff, there was once a Roman Signal Station.