HUMSHAUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Simonburn, union of Hexham, N.W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Hexham; containing 411 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is bounded on the east by the North Tyne, and on the south by the old Roman wall, comprises by measurement 2,710 acres. Limestone is abundant, and is quarried chiefly for agricultural purposes. Humshaugh House commands fine views of the North Tyne. The living is a perpetual curacy; patrons, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The tithes have been commuted for £198, payable to the rector of Simonburn, by whom the curate's stipend of £120 is paid; the glebe comprises 3 acres. The chapel (a neat cruciform structure) and the parsonage-house were erected, and a cemetery formed, in 1818, at an expense of about £4,000.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.