Howdon, Historical account, 1890
Extract from: Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1890
HOWDON-ON-TYNE, 2 miles east from Wallsend and 6 north-east from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, is a parish formed from Wallsend Sept. 30, 1859, and comprises Willington township, south of the North Eastern railway, and Howden Pans township, in the Wansbeck division of the county, eastern division of Castle ward, Tynemouth petty sessional division and union, North Shields county court district, rural deanery of Tynemouth, archdeaconry of Northumberland and diocese of Newcastle. Howdon, on July 5, 1864, adopted, for a portion of the parish, the "Local Government Act, 1858" (21 and 22 Viet. c. 98), and the board consists of six members. The township was included in Morpeth Highway District, January 9, 1863. The church of St. Paul, erected in 1876 at a cost of £2,800, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of nave, aisles and south porch: there are sittings for 320 persons. The register dates from the year 1860. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £140, net yearly value £258, with the interest of grant for house £45, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop of Newcastle alternately, and held since 1867 by the Rev. John Hughes, of St. Bees. Here are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. The area is 220 acres; rateable value, £1,400; the population of the parish in 1891 was 6,783, local board district, 962.
The children of this place attend the schools at Willington Quay.