Howden Pans, 1848
HOWDEN-PANS, a township, in the parish of Wallsend, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (S.W.) from North Shields; containing 1,296 inhabitants. The village is situated on the north bank of the river Tyne, at the foot of some lofty eminences. Glass-works were in operation in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and afterwards numerous salt-pans; but at present the inhabitants are chiefly employed in a colliery, and in the extensive ship-yards and docks of Messrs. Straker and Lowe, who build vessels of every size, and generally employ from 300 to 350 men: here was built one of the last 44-gun ships, of two decks, called the Argo. There is a brewery and malting establishment; also a paint manufactory. The Newcastle and North Shields railway has a station near. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.