Topics > Tees Valley > Wolviston > Wolviston, 1848

Wolviston, 1848


WOLVISTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Billingham, union of Stockton, N.E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of Durham county, 4½ miles (N. by E.) from Stockton, on the road to Sunderland; containing 588 inhabitants. The church of Durham probably held lands here under ancient grants of the manor and the church of Billingham; and other portions, extending in time to nearly the whole vill, were acquired by purchase or exchange from various proprietors. The chapelry comprises upwards of 4,000 acres. The soil is chiefly a sound clayey loam, well adapted for wheat and beans, with fertile patches peculiarly suited to the culture of potatoes and turnips: about two-thirds of the whole are under tillage. The scenery is pleasing; the views embrace the Tees bay, near Redcar, and the Cleveland hills for many miles. The Clarence, and the Stockton and Hartlepool railways pass about a mile and a quarter from the village, at which point the Billingham station is fixed; and about four miles further to the east is Port-Clarence, where is the terminus of the Clarence railway. In the chapelry are some tile-works, a brick-yard, and a pottery on a limited scale. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, with a total net income of £250; there is a glebe of 60 acres in portions of land variously situated, and the incumbent has also a farm near Billingham, of 60 acres. The tithes, vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, have been commuted for £337. 16. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter; it was enlarged in 1830, and is a neat stone structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a handsome tower. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a school on the national plan, built, with a house for the master, in 1836, and capable of admitting 120 scholars. In 1838, a handsome brick building was erected in the village by the Marchioness of Londonderry, containing twelve apartments, for six aged persons, chiefly widows.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Wolviston Billingham Parish, 1848 Church of St Peter, Wolviston
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Church of St Peter, Wolviston
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Peter, Wolviston
- Overview Map Street View St Peter's Church in Wolviston was built in 1876 by Austin, Johnson and Hicks. It was designed in the early English style, built with red brick ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES