Topics > County Durham > West Auckland > West Auckland, 1848

West Auckland, 1848


AUCKLAND, WEST, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (SW. by S.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 2,310 inhabitants. This place is situated at the junction of the high road from Durham to Barnard-Castle with that from Darlington to Wolsingham; the river Gaunless winds in a devious course through the township. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a free school, founded by Mrs. Margaret Hubback in 1798, is endowed with about £30 per annum, and conducted on the national plan. The place gives the title of Baron to the family of Eden, who formerly resided here: the estates now belong to Sir R. J. Eden, Bart.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

West Auckland Parish of Auckland, St. Andrew, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES