Belsay, 1848


Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

BELSAY, a township, in the parish of Bolam, union of Castle ward, N.E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 13 miles (N.W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 312 inhabitants. The township comprises 2,516 acres: the soil is of great variety, and, with the exception of some fine grass-land within the park, mostly arable, and of medium or inferior quality; there are considerable quarries of lime and freestone. Belsay Hall, a splendid edifice of Grecian character, built by Sir Charles Monck, stands on a dry knoll, and partly occupies the site of the late chapel of Belsay; the structure is of the Doric order, and forms a square of upwards of a hundred feet. The ancient castle, supposed, from its style, to have been built in the reign of King John, stands not far from the Hall, at the head of a vale, backed by a woody hill; and is reckoned one of the most perfect specimens, and certainly one of the most imposing, of Norman castellated architecture in the county. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £10. 12. 6. On the top of the how, or hill, west of the castle, is an old Roman camp, the fosses of which are still very perfect; and below it along the back of the hill, the old village of Belshow, or Belsay, originally stood. The hill was sacred to the British god Bel, whence its name.

from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Bolam Parish, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Bolam Parish, 1848
- BOLAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union, and partly in the W. division, of Castle ward, but chiefly in the W. division of Morpeth ward and N. E. division ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES