Barforth Township, 1848
BARFORTH, a township, in the parish of Forcett, union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 6 miles (E.) from Barnard Castle; containing 114 inhabitants. It is on the south bank of the Tees, and comprises by computation 1750 acres: a ferry crosses the river to the county of Durham. Within the township are the inconsiderable remains of a village called Old Richmond, formerly a Roman station; and also the ruins of an ancient chapel.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.