Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Bowes Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Bowes Civil Parish

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Bowes Civil Parish


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Bowes Civil Parish, County Durham, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Notes
1 and 2, the Street 1159738 II    
Annums Farmhouse 1121073 II    
Barn, Yard Wall and Shed to East and South of Levy Pool Farmhouse 1323026 II    
Base and Cross Shaft Fragment in the Garden of Cross House 1159719 II    
Boundary Stone to Cumbria/North Yorks 1327013 II    
Bowes and District Working Men's Club 1323029 II    
Bowes Castle 1121039  I 1174 On the site of a Roman fort
Bowes Hall 1121071 II    
Bowfield Cottage 1121070 II    
Bridge, 220 Metres North of East Mellwaters Farmhouse 1121067 II    
Byre Adjoining to Left of Levy Pool Farmhouse 1159654 II    
Castle Terrace 1121038 II    
Chest Tomb to William Thompson, 8 Metres West of Church of St Giles 1121035 II    
Church of St Giles 1323050 II C12th  
Croft House Attached Extension and Sunny Croft 1121033 II    
Cross House and Church View 1323028 II    
Dotheboys Hall and Former Coach House 1121040 II    
Farmbuilding Attached to Hulands Cottage, 180 Metres East of High Broats Farmhouse 1121064 II    
Forecourt Wall and Gatepiers in Front of the Grove 1121072 II    
Garden Walls Gate Piers and Gates Adjoining South Front of Bowes Hall 1310919 II    
Headstone to Thomas Hanby, 1 Metre South of Church of St Giles 1121034 II    
Headstone to William Shaw, 3 Metres North of Church of St Giles 1121037 II    
Levy Pool Farmhouse 1310940 II    
Limekiln 60 Metres South of God's Bridge Cottage 1121825 II    
Limekiln, 30 Metres South of Gods Bridge Cottage (Shown on Os Map As Rock Bridge Cottages) 1323024 II    
Linked Farmbuildings and Gin-Gang, Attached to South of Stone Bridge Farmhouse 1323063 II    
Loose Boxes, 5 Metres East of Stone Bridge Farmhouse 1121066 II    
Milestone, 35 Metres West of Milestone House (Shown on Os Map As New House) 1121069 II    
Milestone, 650 Metres West of Ivy Hall 1323062 II    
Nabb Bridge, 160 Metres West of Nabb House 1310969 II    
Old Spital Farmhouse 1121068 II    
Prospect House and Archway to Right 1159724 II    
Rey Cross 1323025  II* C10th Historic boundry marker
Rutherford Bridge 1121822 II    
Stone Bridge Farmhouse 1121065 II    
Table Tomb to Henry Bincks, 4 1/2 Metres West of Church of St Giles 1121036 II    
The Ancient Unicorn Hotel and Attached Rear Wing (Shown on Os Map As Unicorn House) 1323027 II    
The Grove 1159713 II    
West End Farm Barn and Attached Range of Byres, 20 Metres North of Dotheboys Hall 1121074 II    
Bowes Castle 1002318 n/a 1174 Scheduled Monument
Cairnfield on the north east slope of Ravock, Bowes Moor 1016605 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Cairnfield on Ravock, 600m south east of Ravock Castle, Bowes Moor 1016610 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Cairn on a prominent knoll and cairnfield to its south east on Ravock, Bowes Moor 1016608 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Three cairns on Ravock, Bowes Moor, 830m north east of Ravock Castle 1016606 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Cairn on the north side of Ravock, Bowes Moor, 600m west of West Stoney Keld 1016611 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Roman signal station and camp 270m north east of Bowes Moor Hotel 1016463 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Cairn on a low ridge on the east side of Ravock, Bowes Moor, 860m west south west of West Stoney Keld 1016607 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Cairnfield on Ravock, 880m north west of Rovegill House 1016609 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Roman signal station 190m north west of Vale House Farm 1016464 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Roman aqueduct, prehistoric field systems, cairnfield, enclosure and round cairn on Ravock 1021117 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Rey Cross Roman temporary camp and signal station, and prehistoric stone circle 1016929 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Romano-British settlement site to the east and south-east of East Mellwaters farmhouse 1459288 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Roman Fort (Lavatrae) 1002316 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Romano-British settlement 740m WNW of Old Spital 1016465 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Rey Cross, 670m west of Old Spital 1016467 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Unenclosed hut circle settlement, two round cairns, medieval transhumance settlement and two pillow mounds, 360m south east of Rey Cross Roman camp 1016468 n/a   Scheduled Monument

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

Bowes Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Bowes Castle
- Overview History Map The stone castle at Bowes was built between 1170 and 1174 on the site of the former Roman fort of Lavatrae. Bowes Castle was a medieval castle ...
Church of St Giles, Bowes
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Giles, Bowes
Rey Cross, Bowes
  Co-Curate Page
Rey Cross, Bowes
- Rey Cross, in the civil parish of Bowes. Base and fragment of a 10th century cross shaft, which is believed to have been erected by King Edwin of Northumbria to ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES