Hawcoat, Division of Dalton-in-Furness Parish, 1848
The ancient parish of Dalton-in-Furness was divided into quarters or ‘bierleys’: Hawcoat, Yarlside, Above Town, and Dalton. The entry below relates to the Division of Hawcoat, rather than the Township of Hawcoat (in contrast to the other entries for the parish in this 1848 gazette).
HAWCOAT, a division, in the parish of Dalton-in-Furness, Union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Dalton; containing 921 inhabitants. This is an extensive division of the parish, for, exclusive of Hawcoat proper, which is seated on the main land, it includes the several islands of Walney, the Pile or Peel of Fouldrey, Foulney, Roe, Sheep, Old Barrow, Old Barrow Ramsey, and Dova-Haw. Hawcoat is one of the principal points of view within Low Furness: on a fine day the prospect to the west takes in the whole extent of the Isle of Man, the Isle of Anglesey, and the Welsh mountains. To the south, the east, and north, the view includes Ashurst beacon and Rivington Pike, Longridge, Bolland, and Ingleborough, with the hills which divide Lancashire from Yorkshire, and Westmorland from Cumberland. A rich corn country intervenes between the village of Hawcoat and the Isle of Walney. Romney, the celebrated artist, who died in November, 1802, was born at Cocken, in the division.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.