FOULNEY, an island, in the parish of Dalton-in-Furness, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Dalton. It lies to the east of the Isle of Walney; its name signifies "the isle of fowls." There is no dwelling-house upon it, the land being held by farmers on the adjacent shore. The Pile of Fouldrey is distant about a mile.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.