Haughton is located by the River North Tyne, a mile north of Humshaugh. In medieval times there was a village at Haughton, but this was removed when the grounds of Haughton Castle were laid out in the early 19th century. Wester Hall was built near the castle in 1732. Today there are only a few dwellings in addition to Haughton Castle and Wester Hall. Today, Haughton is part of Humshaugh Civil Parish. Historically, Haughton township waspart of the ancient Parish of Simonside.