HALL-GARTH, in the parish of Pittington, S. division of Easington ward, union, and N. division of the county, of Durham; containing 2,295 inhabitants. Hall-Garth, or South Pittington, forms the most importtant part of the parish, and includes the church and vicarage-house; it is a mile from North Pittington.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Originally Pittington was divided into two settlements; the village of North Pittington (now called Low Pittington) and Pittington Hallgarth (also called South Pittington) which was a manorial centre of the Prior of Durham. Later, the larger villge of High Pittington, which now adjoins Hallgarth, developed during the 19th and 20th centuries as a mining village.