Tyne & Wear HER: 10497
Grid ref: NZ25296386

Grindon Chare, Newcastle


Grindon Chare was a narrow street in the Quayside area of Medeival Newcastle. There were public houses along it, including 'Shades', the Blue Bell, the Dun Cow. It no longer exists.

from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(10497): Newcastle, Quayside, Grindon Chare
- "There were no minor streets or chares running off the Quayside before 1376, although the word "Key" is used four times from 1332 to 1366. From Sandhill to Sandgate there ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(11204): Newcastle, Grindon Chare, Blue Bull Public House
- "In the late 1840s Mrs Pickering was producing 14 half-barrels per brewing. The public house was advertised in the early 1850s with a brewery and two corn lofts under the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(11093): Newcastle, Quayside, Grindon Chare, Dun Cow Public House
- "Anthony Teasdale owned the Dun Cow from 1804. From 1826 Anthony acted as agent for Reid & Co, porter brewers from London. In the late 1840s his son William took over ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES