Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Gosforth > Gosforth, Historical Account, 1890
Gosforth, Historical Account, 1890
Extract from: Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1890
GOSFORTH is a parish, comprising the townships of South Gosforth, North Gosforth, Coxlodge, Fawdon, Kenton and East and West Brunton, in the Tyneside division of the county, west division of Castle ward, Castle West petty sessional division, Castle ward union, county court district and rural deanery of Newcastle-on-Tyne, archdeaconry of Northumberland, and diocese of Newcastle, 2 ½ miles north of Newcastle, and is bisected by the Great North road from London to Scotland. That portion of the parish which borders upon the North road, comprising Bulman Village, Causey End and Salter’s road, and extending from the Newcastle borough boundary on the south to beyond the Three Mile Bridge on the north, is now called Gosforth, and is partly in the township of Coxlodge and partly in that of South Gosforth, and is within the Local Board district of South Gosforth. The church of All Saints, a chapel of ease to St. Nicholas, South Gosforth, in West avenue, Gosforth, was erected from designs by Robert J. Johnson esq. F.S.A, at an estimated cost of £12,000, and is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays and aisles, and is eventually to be completed by the addition of a lofty tower with a peal of bells: the stained east window was the gift of one of the parishioners: there are 700 sittings. Here are Presbyterian, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels. The Plymouth Brethren have a meeting room, and the Salvation Army, barracks. The Ashburton Catholic cemetery, formed in 1884, covers an area of 16 acres: it is tastefully laid out and has a mortuary chapel. The Rev. Robert Thornton is chaplain and superintendent. This district contains many mansions and villas, inhabited by merchants and tradesmen of Newcastle. Coxlodge Hall was rebuilt in 1879 by the late Andrew Leslie esq. J.P.; and Roseworth is the residence of John Carr esq. J.P. The army of Edward II. when on its march to relieve Stirling Castle in 1314, encamped on Gosforth fields outside the town moor. The Freemasons have a hall and the South Northumberland Cricket Club has its head quarters here. The deputy chief constable of the Northumberland constabulary resides here with a force of two sergeants and four constables. A branch of the Newcastle tramways connects the distriet with the northern metropolis. The population of South Gosforth Local Board district in 1891 was 6,674.
- A School Board of 7 members was formed January 19, 1875, for the united district of South Goforth, Coxlodge, Fawdon & West Brunton; office, 34 High street; meeting days, third Thursday in each month; Robert Reay, Coxlodge, clerk to the board.
- National, High street (mixed), erected in 1863, for 350 children; average attendance, 250.
- The Chadwick Memorial Industrial School for Catholic boys, Moor side, erected in 1883 & dedicated to St. James, occupies the building once used as the grand stand on the old racecourse; 150 boys reside & are taught various trades.
- Chadwick Memorial Industrial School for Catholic girls, erected in 1870 & dedicated to St. Elizabeth, is half a mile north of the boys’ institution & near the village of Coxlodge.
The Newcastle Tramway Co.'s cars run to & from Gosforth & the central station every 15 minutes from 8 a.m. to 12 & from 6 p.m. to 9.45 p.m. Between the hours of 12 & 6 p.m. they run every 10 minutes.
Add a comment or share a memory.