Topics > Northumberland > Gallowhill
GALLOW-HILL, a township, in the parish of Bolam, union of Castle ward, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8¾ miles (W.S.W.) from Morpeth; containing 41 inhabitants, and comprising 603 acres of land. This place derives its name from having been the place of execution for the barony of Bolam: property has been held here by the families of Thornton, Aynsley, Cook, Bell, and Beresford, of whom the second-named built the mansion of Gallow-Hill, which was for some time occupied by a duchess of Atholl. The tithes have been commuted for £61. 19. payable to the impropriators, and £9. 16. 6. to the vicar. There are remains of a camp, and also a cairn.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Grid ref: NZ1070381894
Add a comment or share a memory.