FROSTERLEY, a township, in the parish of Stanhope, union of Weardale, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3¼ miles (W.) from Wolsingham; containing 386 inhabitants. In this township are extensive limestone-works. An act was passed in 1845 for a railway hence to Wolsingham and Witton-le-Wear. Here was a chapel, which long since went to decay. The loss has been in some degree remedied by the erection, in 1833, of an oratory, which is licensed by the Bishop for divine service and the administration of the sacraments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. John Hinks in 1735, and Mary Todd in 1824, bequeathed property for a school, now producing an income of about £40.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.