Fishburn Township, 1848
FISHBURN, a township, in the parish and union of Sedgefield, N.E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 9¼ miles (S.E. by S.) from Durham; containing 239 inhabitants. The family of Fishburn, who assumed the local name, were the earliest proprietors on record of the vill and manor; and among other landowners of whom mention occurs, have been the families of Bulmer, Widdrington, and Conyers. The township comprises 2,082 acres, chiefly arable land, and is bounded towards the south by the river Skerne. The village is scattered along a dry swell of limestone, considerably to the north of the burn or beck which has given it name. Divine service is performed each alternate Sunday afternoon in a schoolroom, by one of the clergymen of the parish church, the rector of which has a glebe here of 69 acres, and tithes that have been commuted for £215. 8. 6. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.