Topics > Tyne and Wear > North Tyneside > Whitley Bay > Town Centre > Fire Station

Fire Station


The Fire Station is a JD Wetherspoons pub in Whitley Bay; the entrance is set back from Whitley Road and it backs on to York Road. Originally built in 1909, this was the headquarters of the Whitley Bay and Cullercoats Fire Brigade up to 1991. There were once stables for 4 horses, which pulled a Meryweather steam-powered pumping engine. The station had accommodation for 5 of the 12 firemen and their families. They were also responsible for an ambulance based at the station.

Town Centre Fire Fighters
from Flickr (flickr)
Fire Station, Whitley Bay

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Fire Station, Whitley Bay

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Fire Station, Whitley Bay

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Fire Station, Whitley Bay

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(6743): Whitley Bay, fire station
- 'The Northumberland Constabulary fire station opened in 1909. It is shown on the Ordnance Survey third edition map of 1919. Still there. "Council Cottage" was demolished to make way for ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The former fire station, York Road

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Tyne & Wear HER: 6743
Post code: NE26 1AB
Grid ref: NZ35567216

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES