Topics > Northumberland > Fenton
FENTON, a township, in the parish of Wooler, union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, county of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Wooler; containing 205 inhabitants. This township, which once constituted a separate parish, but was united to Wooler in 1313, is supposed to have been the place where St. Ninian commenced his labours, about 420, in converting the natives of Northumberland and the south of Scotland to Christianity, having proceeded from his own country, North Wales, for the purpose. In confirmation of this conjecture, is the fact, that a fair annually held here, on September 27th, for cattle, sheep, and horses, has long been called St. Ninian's fair; and an old well continues to be termed St. Ninian's well.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Grid ref: NT971339
Add a comment or share a memory.