Farlam Parish, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
FARLAM (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing 1,035 inhabitants, of whom 526 are in the township of East Farlam, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Brampton, and 509 in that of West Farlam. The parish comprises by admeasurement 5164 acres, of which about one-third is arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with a portion of woodland; the substratum is chiefly limestone and coal, the former extensively quarried and burnt into lime, and the latter worked in the adjoining parish of Hayton. At Milton is a station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Carlisle.