Topics > Tyne and Wear > Gateshead > Crawcrook > Emma Colliery (1845-1968)

Emma Colliery (1845-1968)

Emma Colliery, also known as Towneley Colliery, was located near Crawcrook, to the south-west of Ryton. Sinking of the colliery began on the 17th of March 1845. It was under the ownership of the Stella Coal Company from the 1850's and the colliery was recorded as producing 550 tons of coal per day (1894). By 1930 there were 844 men and boys employed at the colliery (666 working below ground and 178 working on the surface).[1] By the 1960s many of the coal seams had been exhaused and the colliery closed on the 19th of April 1968.

Crawcrook Collieries Ryton
  Co-Curate Page
- Overview About Ryton Map Street View   Ryton is a semi-rural small town near the western border of the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England, being 5.8 miles …
Tyne and Wear HER(3314): Ryton, Townley Main Colliery (Emma Colliery)
- "Townley Main Colliery was served by the Townley Main Wagonway, (SMR 3317), which linked to it. The 1st edition OS mapping shows the Emma Pit, a gasometer and smithy in …

Added by
Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

Tyne & Wear HER: 3314
Borough: Gateshead
Grid ref: NZ14386390


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.