Elwick Township (Hart), 1848
ELWICK, a township, in the parish of Hart, union of Stockton, N.E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 9¼ miles (N. by E.) from Stockton; containing 238 inhabitants. Robert de Brus gave "Ailewic" in "Hertenes," in frank marriage with his daughter Agatha, to Ralph, son of Ribald, of Middleham; and from the descendants of this Ralph the manor passed to the Nevills, with whom it remained, though by means of remote heirs, till the 16th century. The township comprises about 1940 acres: the village is scattered on the western edge of the parish of Hart, separated by a deep dell from the church and parish of Elwick-Hall. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £63, and the vicarial for £16.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.