Eltringham Township, 1848
ELTRINGHAM, a township, in the parish of Ovingham, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 13½ miles (W. by S.) from Newcastle; containing 87 inhabitants, of whom 11 are residents in an extra-parochial place called Masters Close. It comprises 320 acres, and is on the south side of the river Tyne. About half a mile west of the village is a fire-brick manufactory. The Carlisle railway passes through the township. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £56. 2. Thomas and John Bewick, eminent wood-engravers, were born here.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.