Topics > Maryport > Ewanrigg, Maryport > Ellenborough with Ewanrigg Township, 1848

Ellenborough with Ewanrigg Township, 1848

LLENBOROUGH, with Ewanrigg, a township, in the parish of Dearham, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1 mile (E.S.E.) from Maryport; containing 766 inhabitants. This was an important Roman station, which Camden and Baxter consider to have been Volantium, Horsley Virosidum, and others Olenacum. Camden says that the first band of the Dalmatians was quartered here. There is, perhaps, no station in Britain where a greater number of altars and inscribed tablets have been found. At Ewanrigg is an endowed school, founded in 1718 by Ewan Christian and others. Coal is obtained near the village. Sir Edward Law, lord chief justice of the court of king's bench, derived his title from this place, being created Baron Ellenborough in 1802.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Ewanrigg, Maryport Ewanrigg, Maryport
Ewanrigg, Maryport
  Co-Curate Page
Ewanrigg, Maryport


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.