Edward Street, Arthur's Hill, Newcastle


"When Westgate and Elswick townships became part of Newcastle in 1835 there were buildings on either side of Westgate Hill, joined on the west side by the 1826 estate of Isaac Cookson opposite the nonconformist Westgate Cemetry. Cookson named the estate after his son Arthur and the first streets were named after his other sons: John, Edward, and William." (Bygone Arthur's Hill and Westgate, by A.D.Walton, 1998 - cited by http://www.robinbt2.plus.com/arthurshill/history1.htm)

from Flickr (flickr)
AH06724

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
AH04285

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
23a

Pinned by Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES