East Matfen Township, 1848
MATFEN, EAST, a township, in the parish of Stamfordham, union of Castle ward, N.E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 8¾ miles (N.E. by E.) from Hexham; containing 110 inhabitants. It lies on the south side of the river Pont, above a mile west from Stamfordham, and comprises 1,834a. 1r. 6p. of land: the village consists of a few straggling cottages only, although it seems to have been once a place of some importance. The Roman wall is not very far distant on the south. The tithes have been commuted for £19 payable to the vicar, and £221 to the Bishop of Durham.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.