Eagelsfield Township, 1848
EAGLESFIELD, a township, in the parish of Brigham, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2¾ miles (S.W. by W.) from Cockermouth; containing 371 inhabitants. It is one of the "five towns" annexed to the honour of Cockermouth. On the inclosure of Eaglesfield and Blindbothel commons, about 1814, twenty acres of land were appropriated to the establishment of a school. The township abounds with excellent limestone. Some years since, a Roman paved way was discovered.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.