Dufton Parish, 1848
DUFTON (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N.E.) from Appleby; containing, with the township of Keisley, 466 inhabitants, of whom 441 are in Dufton township. It comprises 19,250 acres, of which about 2,057, long since inclosed, consist of meadow, pasture, and arable land; 2118 acres are common pasture recently inclosed, under act of parliament; 15,000 acres are moor, and about 75 wood. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 2. 6.; net income, £172; patron, the Earl of Thanet. The church was rebuilt in 1784, at the expense of the parishioners and the Rev. William Kilner, the rector, and is a plain structure, situated about half a mile north of the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The free school was founded in 1623, by Christopher Walker, rector, and was further endowed with a bequest by Michael Todd in 1692.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.