Drigg Parish, 1848
DREGG (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (N.W. by N.) from Ravenglass; containing, with the township of Carleton, 429 inhabitants, of whom 286 are in the township of Dregg. The parish anciently abounded with oaks, from which it seems to have derived its name; Derigh, or Dergh, signifying, in the Celtic tongue, oak. It is intersected by the river Irt, and bounded on the south by the Mite, and on the west by the Irish Sea, near the shore of which is a powerful chalybeate spring. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £88; patron, S. Irton, Esq.; impropriator, Lord Muncaster. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1820. A school built in 1828, by the Rev. William Thompson, a native of the parish, is endowed with £1400 three per cent. Bank annuities.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.