Docker Township, 1848
DOCKER, a township, in the parish and union of Kendal, Kendal ward, county of Westmorland, 4¼ miles (N.E. by E.) from Kendal; containing 82 inhabitants. At Docker Garths the Lancaster and Carlisle railway crosses Fiddler's Ghill, by a viaduct of six arches, each of fifty feet span; the extreme height of the erection being eighty feet. This viaduct, from its magnitude, and the difficulties attending its construction, occupied more than a year in building; it was commenced 14th May 1845, and completed 29th June 1846: more fatal accidents occurred in the formation of it than in any other part of the line.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.