Deaf Hill Colliery (c.1873 - 1967)
Deaf Hill Colliery opended in c.1873. By 1877 it was recorded as being owned by the Trimdon Coal Company. At it's peak level of employment in 1930 there were 1,084 working at the colliery (929 working below ground and 155 working on the surface). The colliery closed on the 25th of February 1967 with the loss of 534 jobs.